My first on-campus job began in the fall of 2010, the beginning of my sophomore year, when I applied to be a Harbor Monitor in Hoosac Hall. The Harbor, for those who aren't aware, was what the bottom floor of Hoosac was called up until the renovations began last summer; it used to be a sort of rec room, with a big screen TV, couches, and game tables. My job was to sign out the equipment for the games (in exchange for a student ID) and make sure that order was maintained in the space. 

I loved the Harbor; as a freshman, I had frequented the space almost daily, making use of the pool tables with my friend Chris and enjoying the open space as a location for a weekly charades game. I was tremendously sad to see that the new freshmen had not taken to the space as I had the year before, and it grew increasingly rare throughout the year for anyone to stop into the Harbor at all, during my shifts. Still, I was sad to see the space close at the end of the year, but the sadness is mixed with excitement for the new entryway into the building which will be open next year.

My time as a Harbor monitor was incredibly valuable, as it familiarized me with working with Residential Programs and Services, and equipped me with many of the tools needed to move upstairs this year to my current job as a RASM.