Being an Orientation Leader this past summer was without a doubt one of the highlights of my MCLA experience. I had the chance to introduce incoming students into the MCLA community, and I also got to make a whole new group of good friends along the way, in the other OLs. 

More than any other experience here on campus, I feel that being an Orientation Leader has directly prepared me for life in the real-world after college, as it trained me not only in how to do any one specific task--say, administer a placement test--but actually taught me how to function in a variety of situations of varying levels of importance and intensity. 

While the overwhelming memories of the summer are the fun, the comraderie, and the new friends, being an Orientation Leader is a lot of work, and I feel that the experience also teaches the value of collaboration. The group of OLs can be required to work as a single functioning body in any situation, to deal with whatever issues may arise both in preparation for and during the overnight and transfer sessions. If something goes wrong, we need to be able to work together to fix it, and I feel that that is something our group achieved very well this past year.