I attended Jonathan Secor’s trip to the Association of Performing Arts Presenters (or APAP, for short) conference in New York City, which was an incredibly experience. I was able to talk to artists who were hoping to find presenters to book them in the future, and I also had an opportunity to watch many showcases of those artists’ work, in theatre, dance, and music.

The trip broadened my perspective, giving me new insight into just what it takes to actually make all of these artistic events happen; there is a lot more behind-the-scenes negotiating than I ever would have realized before attending the conference. Relationships are formed between presenters from different locations, friendships which spawn business partnerships, cosponsorships, and all sorts of things.

The trip also provided all of us with six days in the Big Apple, where we were able to experience not only the art culture, but the food culture as well, as each evening we got to try a new cuisine, from French to Dominican to Chinese. I tried kalamari for the first time (who knew it would be so delicious?) as well as several other foods I never would have had the courage or the opportunity to try in any other setting.

The APAP conference was an unforgettable experience in broadening ones perspectives in all senses.