Hello,

My name is Nolan Hickey. My childhood was a pretty typical one. My father owned a computer repair shop which he ran until around a year ago when he decided to sell it, business wasn't great. My Mom worked at home for most of my childhood, right up until senior year of high school to be exact. She then decided that I was capable of taking care of myself when I got home. I am an only child so I'm close to my parents and we communicate frequently if something is bothering one another. When I think of a place, a time or an event I can't pick just one part of this unforgettable summer. So I will address it as a whole. This summer has changed me as a person, I got closer than I ever thought I would with a small group of friends, 3 to be exact. Those 3 people are what made this summer forever burned into my mind as one of the best times of my life. Our small group consisted of Kayla, Alexis, Zack and myself. Kayla and Alexis are twins, Zack is dating Alexis. I've known Alexis for roughly 6 years and I've only known Kayla since the beginning of senior year.

Out of the people of the group, I am closest with Kayla. Zack I only saw occasionally when picking up or dropping Kayla off after going out to eat or driving her home from school. Before this summer our group was really 2 separate groups of 2. We rarely did anything all together. I sometimes would go out with Alexis for lunch but I mostly hung out with Kayla. Before my graduation at SPAC, I probably didn't say more than a few words to Zacks solely because I rarely saw him. Kayla, Alexis and myself all went to the same high school. I honestly don't know where Zack went. He was at our graduation though because of course Lex was graduating. I still only said a few words like "hey, what's up". Never, would I would have guessed that he would become my best friend. If you told me that day, hey you and him, you're going to get really close. I wouldn't have believed you. I can't tell you a single week that we all didn't see each other. It seemed like we were always together and doing something. We were that group that could sit in the back of a pickup in a random parking lot in Clifton Park and stay there until 1 am just talking and laughing. We did that a few times actually. If I had to pick a time and place, which I think I do. I'd pick when all 4 of us went to Cross Gates Mall on August 17th. Kayla insisted on taking me shopping, Lex and Zack came along too for fun. We probably spent 5 hours there. We shopped for me first, then just walked and talked. After that we went out to dinner. We went to the Cheese Cake Factory, it was around 10:30 pm when we got there. It was a great dinner, Zack and I paid for dinner of course and didn't let the girls pay at all.

I remember looking around at them and knowing, this was the last time we would be doing this as a group before college. All of us knew it was too. After dinner, we road home in Zack's truck back to the twin's house. Both me and Zack ended up sleeping over, I lived only a few minutes away but Zack lives around 45 away. Lex and Zack slept on one couch downstairs in their basement while Kayla and I slept on the other. If it weren't for them, I know exactly what I would have spent my summer doing: Sitting on my computer and going out occasionally. They really did bring me out of my shell, being able to socialize with people that I love more than anything. Being with them this summer something I can't bring words to how grateful I am to have them. Writing this now, one song comes to mind that I think represents this summer perfectly. I think of Beat this summer by Brad Paisley. This fits this summer because it's going to be a hard one to beat in terms of the love, fun and happiness I felt during it. If you asked me before this summer what I felt was important to me I probably would have shrugged and said friends. But now, I can say fully that friends are what is most important to me. Specifically, those 3 friends.

Share This:    Delicious Bookmark   Digg Bookmark   Diigo Bookmark   Facebook Bookmark   LinkedIn Bookmark   MySpace Bookmark   StumbleUpon Bookmark   Twitter Bookmark