"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming."

~ Goethe

The most rewarding job I have ever held was my position as a Math Academic Tutor Counselor (ATC) during the Independent Enrichment Summer Session (IESS). The program takes place at MCLA during the summer and is primarily for students who did not meet normal entry requirements to college because of being first generation college students, having a learning disability, or being from an economically disadvantaged area; however they show promise that with help they will succeed in the college environment. My position in the program was to work with one of the Math professors as their TA. This required me to attend all of their classes, provide students with extra help during structured study hours, grade all of their work, and keep track of student progress.

Getting to know the students through watching them succeed in a subject many of them told me they would be unable to finish is indescribable. It was this program that introduced me to teaching, and helped me rethink what I might want to do with my life. This program also introduced me to great friendships as we worked together to make sure all students succeeded.