International Relations

The course is designed to gain an understanding of how nation-states, international organizations and other actors behave in international politics. Questions such as "how do we achieve security in an insecure world," "how do we strengthen the global economy and keep it strong well into the 21st century," and "how do the relative influence of power, institutions, and ideas shape world politics?" are all major themes that are answered through this course. Another major aspect of this course is the mock United Nations Security Council simulation that the class took part in. Through this simulation, students were assigned a particular country (I was India) to represent in the case dealing with the nuclear arming of both India and Pakistan and how this affects the conflict these two countries are facing with the disputed Kashmir region. Below you will find my essay report in preparation to dealing with the UN Security Council. 

Africa

This course examines the nation-building issues facing the countries of Africa. Students in this course will study the African triple heritage (indigenous culture, Islam, and Western colonialism) to gain insights into contemporary political and economic issues. How these particular time periods influence the current state of African affairs is a major theme of this course. Through various readings and supplemented presentations and movies we were able to gain a strong understanding of how African became plagued with the various wars and turmoil that it is faced with today. Below you will find a presentation that I made for class discussion on a section of the book titled Thing's Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, along with two paper assignments.

The Middle East and the United States

TO BE COMPLETED SPRING 2012

Example Image

Constitutional Law

TO BE COMPLETED SPRING 2012

Model United Nations

TO BE COMPLETED SPRING 2012

Comparative Government Teaching Assistantship

This course provides a comparative introduction to world political cultures and the discipline of political science. Through an interdisciplinary study of various nation-states, students will develop an understanding of political behavior and public policy processes. As the Teaching Assistant for this course I had the opportunity to assist an instructor in the conduct of an introductory course. As the Teaching Assistant I was held responsible for grading papers, conducting classes and review sessions, taking attendance for each class, along with serving as point person to answer questions for students taking the course. Below you will find notes from a presentation that I did for class on Democracy. You will also find my final research paper comparing two different Communist Countries.