The Historical Society

an MCLA SGA Club

This semester with my internship I had the responsibility of student advising two clubs or organizations. The Historical Society was the first club I chose because of my academic major along with my desire to help them grow. When I first started meeting with the Historical Society, I found a club lacking organization and structure. The executive board of the club was very unsure of how they were supposed to be running things. This is due in large part to it being an entirely new executive board that had not experienced any form of transitional period from the previous executive board. Realizing this very early on, I decided to hold a mini-retreat for the executive board, in attempt to get them back on track and moving forward with club programming, getting their name out there on campus, and looking to the future of the club. The retreat proved to be rather successful as meetings occurred and a general purpose of what they hoped to accomplish this semester was established. They began programming and planning trips entirely on their own. A major struggle for the Historical Society was the lack of involvement of general members along with recruitment and retention of members. I advised the club to move their general meetings somewhere closer to the main campus in order to hopefully attract more members and it worked. New members joined and became interested in what the club has to offer. I am very proud of the work that the Historical Society has done this semester and look forward to what they can accomplish in the future.