In the Spring of 2010, I decided to drop my elementary education major. It was a tough decision, but the program was not working for me at that time. So I devoted my semester to my Interdisciplinary Studies major. 

(Screenshot from ¡Átame!)

I enrolled in the following courses:

ENGL-205            Introduction to Black and White Photography

ENGL-397            Film Seminar: Almodóvar

HIST-104              Modern World Civilization

IDST-220              Science in History

IDST-330              The Idea of Globalization

PHED-108            Community First Aid and Safety

SPAN-300            Spanish Conversation

The film seminar was an interdisciplinary class for me, because it combined aspects of my concentration in English with the Spanish language. For that course, we watched one film by the prolific director and writer Pedro Almodóvar every week and analyzed it in a manner similar to the analysis I did for my Interpretation class the previous semester. Some of the films were controvertial, like La Mala Educación (Bad Education). This film looked at the effect of religious schooling and sexual abuse during the Franco era in Spain. Other films were still strange by American standards, but were more light-hearted, like Mujeres al Borden de un Ataque de Nervios (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown). My favorite film, ¡Átame! (Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!), is pictured above. This film tells the story of how Ricky (Antonio Banderas) kidnaps an actress named Marina (Victoria Abril) and how, in a classic case of Stockholm Syndrome, she eventually falls in love with him.