In my sophomore year at MCLA, I decided a major in Modern Languages was the right choice for me. I wanted to learn Spanish. In terms of learning a new language, experiencing the culture involved with that language is important if not essential. Thus, in the summer of 2010 I spent six weeks in the third-largest city in Spain: Valencia. I took two classes at the University of Valencia: Spanish Literature and Hispanic Civilization. Both classes were taught entirely in Spanish. Spanish Literature was very difficult - we read many older works, such as Don Juan Tenorio, which was written in 1844. As English literary works were more linguistically complex in the past, so were Spanish literary works. Thus, the reading for Spanish Literature was very intensive. More information on the second class, Hispanic Civilization, is included in the pictures' captions.

When I returned to MCLA in the fall after my time in Valencia, I was interviewed and featured in an article about students who had studied abroad at the school recently. It can be found here

This is the patio in our apartment. It was an open-air patio, so we would eat meals outside when the weather was nice. Meals were a very interesting time in Valencia. For breakfast, I would eat coffee and a small pastry (at home I usually have a couple pieces of toast or a big bowl of cereal). Lunch wasn't served until two in the afternoon and was a huge meal, often including tuna fish or paella. Dinner was served around eight in the evening and was a much smaller meal - usually a burger patty with some salad and bread, or something similar. Sometimes for lunch María Dolores would pack me a sandwich, often with chorizo, a Spanish sausage which is delicious.