In my sophomore year at MCLA, I decided a major in Modern Languages was the right choice for me. I wanted to learn Spanish. In terms of learning a new language, experiencing the culture involved with that language is important if not essential. Thus, in the summer of 2010 I spent six weeks in the third-largest city in Spain: Valencia. I took two classes at the University of Valencia: Spanish Literature and Hispanic Civilization. Both classes were taught entirely in Spanish. Spanish Literature was very difficult - we read many older works, such as Don Juan Tenorio, which was written in 1844. As English literary works were more linguistically complex in the past, so were Spanish literary works. Thus, the reading for Spanish Literature was very intensive. More information on the second class, Hispanic Civilization, is included in the pictures' captions.

When I returned to MCLA in the fall after my time in Valencia, I was interviewed and featured in an article about students who had studied abroad at the school recently. It can be found here

This is the front of the Oceanogràfico. Through our study abroad group, we spent an afternoon exploring this aquarium. The exhibits were great and we saw a dolphin show too!