Student-Teacher In-Class Support (S.T.I.C.S.)

S.T.I.C.S. is a tutoring program that places MCLA undergraduate students into local elementary school classrooms. The volunteers assist the teacher by working with students who need extra help or are behind on school work. In addition to providing a valuable service to students and teachers, the volunteer receives hands on experience in a classroom setting; this may be particularly beneficial to anyone studying to get a degree in education or who wishes to work with children in the future.  

Contact Martha Pratt on FirstClass to join or learn more.

What People Are Saying

"My STICS experience was incredible. Helping those kids was a blast and I can't wait to go back to it next semester. When you're there, you never want to leave. Just being present in the classroom means so much to North Adams youth. I'm so glad I partook in this program and am excited to continue."

~Brandon Roy, Sophomore at MCLA

"The MCLA S.T.I.C.S. program is invaluable to the North Adams Public Schools. The student volunteer provides one-on-one help for children who need it, allowing the teacher to focus on the whole class. In a time when teachers have so much material to cover, student volunteers allow them to meet their requirements without leaving children behind in the work. Additionally, the children are also introduced to the idea of higher education and start to see it as attainable. College volunteers are an integral and necessary part of the North Adams Public Schools."
~Elizabeth Urban; North Adams Public School Volunteer Coordinator