• What is LEAD Academy?

L.E.A.D. stands for Leadership, Education, Action, and Development.  It is a five day leadership, college success, and civic engagement action program for freshmen students at MCLA.  It is designed to develop leadership and college preparation skills that students can immediately apply at MCLA and beyond. 

• What kinds of activities will we do?

LEAD Academy activities are a combination of workshops focusing on college success, leadership, and personal and professional growth.  LEAD students also will choose from various community service projects in the local area and discuss those experiences.  LEAD students will participate in team building activities, including a low ropes course. Additionally, there are panel discussions with current student leaders and staff.  The workshops and activities are facilitated by current MCLA student leaders and MCLA staff who together have identified these topics as most critical for incoming students.

• How many people will participate in LEAD Academy?

The 2012 LEAD Academy group will be between 25 and 30 participants.

• What are the dates and times of the program?

LEAD Academy 2012 is tentatively scheduled for August 4th- August 8th.  Room check-in is on Saturday, August 8th, from 11:00 AM-1:00 PM, with the first session beginning at 1:00 PM.  The closing session will end at 4:00 PM on Wednesday, August 10th, with check-out and departure from 4:00-5:00 PM.

• Where will I stay during the program?

LEAD Academy Participants and Staff will all stay in one of the residence buildings on campus.

• What is the cost of LEAD Academy?

The LEAD 2012 fee is $200.00.  This fee covers all expenses incurred as part of the program, including room and board, transportation and activities fees. While MCLA covers the majority of the expenses related to running the program, this fee helps to cover some costs. 

• How do I apply?

There is a written application for the LEAD Academy.  For an application and additional information, please contact Spencer Moser in the Center for Service at 413-662-5251 or spencer.moser@mcla.edu 

and visit http://www.mcla.edu/centerforservice/leadacademy/ to download an application.

“The LEAD Academy is an excellent program.  It helped me become connected here at MCLA.  It provided me with new ways to look at leadership and how to work with others.  LEAD workshops and activities really helped prepare me for my first year at MCLA.  Plus, I accomplished things I had never done before, like the ropes course, all the while making new friends.”

-Doris Behanzin class of 2014

“LEAD was a springboard for me.  I learned more about leadership within MCLA, and how easy it is to get involved here.  As of now, I am a member of a club, a class officer and a senator for SGA.  Without LEAD, I probably would not have had the ambition to get involved this early in my college career.”

-Keifer Gammell, class of 2011