STANDARD B:  

DELIVERS EFFECTIVE INSTRUCTION 

“The best thing…is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honor trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.”

(T.H. White, "The Once and Future King", 1987)

In order to engage students at the start of every day, I communicate what the day ahead has in store--what students will be learning, what activities students will complete to put their learning into action, and the importance of what they'll be learning.  

At the start of each lesson, I communicate what students will be expected to do throughout the lesson, how to work on activities successfully, and what they should know by the end of the lesson. As a lifelong learner, I know I find it much easier to learn when my purpose is clearly identified beforehand; so I use this method to offer students peace of mind so that they can focus their attention on what they need to do, how to do it, and what they need to know in order to be successful.  

I work to create an engaging environment throughout instruction by addressing the different types of learners.  I deliver a variety of approaches that entice multiple intelligences by including visual references, movement, technology, games, and reflection time. 

Lastly, I show my own passion and intrigue for learning!  By actively involving students in discussions and activities, leading them towards more student-centered approaches, they are much more likely to remain engaged and retain the essential information of the lesson!